Thursday, May 26, 2022

My Birthday Pledge

Today is my 76th Birthday, and frankly, given all that is going on in the country I don't give a s..t if you send me birthday greetings However, since at least three people I respect have told me recently that they think the country is doomed, I have decided to post this Birthday Pledge. " When I look around me, I see a nation paralyzed by division, filled with hate, unable to address the most powerful issues of the day, from climate change, to gun violence, to racism, white supremacy and threats to democratic governance. I cannot promise you that we can survive these challenges, or that we will even be a viable nation in 25 years. But as someone who has lived through the War In Vietnam, multiple drug epidemics, the burning of the Bronx, the destruction of the labor movement, the rise of mass incarceration and the militarization of police, and numerous military actions in the Middle East which have destabilized that region and left many who served there with lifelong issues, I promise you that I will NEVER stop fighting for the causes I believe in, or defending people who are targets because of their race, religion, immigration status, or gender identities. Moreover, if you are my student, my colleague, my neighbor, my friend, a member of my family, or someone I have connected with through social media, I will be there for you when you need help so long as my health holds up. Growing up, I never gave in to bullies and I am not about to start doing that now I realize that I am very lucky to have reached age 76 in pretty good shape and I plan to celebrate and show gratitude for every day I have left on this planet. But for me, fighting for justice is an integral part of celebrating life and I look forward to joining with you to stop the rise of American Fascism and to make sure the the rights and opportunities of everyone around us is recognized and respected With All My Love, Mark "Notorious Phd" Naison "

No comments: