Thursday, November 14, 2013

School Reform: A Discourse Of Lies Parading Behind Honorable Ideals

I have been fighting since I was an 8 year old growing up in a tough Brooklyn neighborhood and the battle to defend public education in the US may be the hardest one I have ever been in. Never has so much big money been amassed behind an effort to control, discipline and regulate the children of this nation. That money,selectively distributed by those who possess it, paralyzes and demoralizes many people who should know better and creates a discourse of lies that parades behind lip service to honorable ideals. But in joining the revolt against this, first wondering whether I was alone, and then finding a growing army of people willing to stand up and court ridicule, abuse, and sometimes loss of employment, I have met some of the most courageous, honorable and talented people I have encountered anywhere. I feel blessed to be in the trenches with them, and to count a growing number as friends. There is no turning back now. Our movement is growing. But our love for children is what motivates us to endure the highs and lows of a very difficult battle against cruel , arrogant and very powerful enemies

No comments: