Saturday, November 21, 2015

Terrifying Post On the Computerized Learning Future from a Teacher From a Southern State

I was recently at a training where the state superintendent of education .........., was speaking to the......... county teachers. She began her speech with trying to inspire and motivate us to prepare the students for the future they will be entering into.(last I checked the students I'm teaching create the future. There isn't a predetermined future we are streamlining students into) "There is a hotel completely run by robots," she said and "there will soon be driverless cars" she also told a "cute" little story about the time when operators were no longer needed in elevators because of inventions and technological advancements!!!!!! She then switched gears and began saying that it is of the utmost importance that we move in the direction of standards mastery education(computer based learning) instead of the regular grade progression we are implementing now. It was at that point that I walked to the front of the auditorium, raised my hand was called upon and asked June, "is what you are telling us is that we are preparing our students to enter into a future where there are no longer jobs for our students, there will no longer be a need for educators as well?" She gave me a political response stating something along the lines of if I stay for the remainder of her speech, that is not the case....I walked out. I now have a formal letter in my file for my behavior and was told I have lost my credibility as an educator for doing what I did. And my administrators told me that I would be upset if any of my students did what I did. Mind you, I teach social studies and constantly encourage my students to ask questions and debate. I'm an amazing teacher with amazing relationships with my students and I am the exact kind of teacher ............. wants to get rid of.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No, you wouldn't necessarily dine the same to your students. And it isn't even a valid comparison, unless we are the students and the powers that be are the adults/teachers.

Unknown said...

No, you wouldn't necessarily dine the same to your students. And it isn't even a valid comparison, unless we are the students and the powers that be are the adults/teachers.

Unknown said...

this teacher deserves a medal!!!!!

Unknown said...

that letter to file must be removed!

Unknown said...

RRB Bilaspur NTPC Result
RRB Malda NTPC Result
MBOSE SSLC Marks
MBOSE SSLC Toppers List
UPSSSC VDO Result
TSPSC Panchayat Raj Admit Card