Friday, December 11, 2015

White Student Yells "Black Sluts Matter" At 3 Black Female Fordham Students

This just was posted by one of my students! Unbelievable. Fordham is in DEEP Trouble!! As is our entire nation
Monica Joy
3 hrs · New York, NY ·
Last night as I was leaving an off campus apartment with two other black female students, a white student began to repeatedly yell "Black sluts matter!" at us out of his window. He proceeded to proclaim "I am a racist!" and curse at us. It's ironic how people's true attitudes come out during a time of consistent organizing and dialogue on race in the Fordham community. When the minority decides to take a stand, the majority will go through great lengths to shut us down-like drawing hate symbols on campus and chanting white power.
It is critical for us to remind ourselves of our oppression. In the words of Assata Shakur, "The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows... But to become free, you have to be acutely aware of being a slave." I am no slave, but this society treats me as one as a working class black woman. I refuse to be intimated into silence and inaction. Incidents like these drive me to continue my work for the liberation of my people and that of all oppressed peoples because our struggles are connected. The system that allows for the police killings of unarmed blacks is the same system that supports the occupation in Palestine and the unlivable wages of workers across the world. We must unite and fight back. Fordham students, it is our duty to fight for our justice-do not be afraid to stand up and speak out. ‪#‎fordhamspeaksup‬: