1. Children are loved and walk around the school with smiles on their faces
2, Teachers are respected and stay in their jobs for a long time
3. Parents are welcome in the school and are made to feel an integral part of the culture of the school
4. The culture and history of the community the school is located is honored in displays and in what is taught in classes.
5. Arts, physical education, recess and sports are NEVER sacrificed for higher test scores.
6. ELL and Special Needs students are treated with respect and are
given the counseling and special attention they need to thrive
7. Students have such a positive experience at the school that they return on a regular basis after they have graduated,
If you think that these features are only found in private schools or
schools in affluent middle schools, you need to visit the CASA Middle
School in the Bronx where Jamaal Bowman is the principal.
not only something that CAN be done in all communities, it is something
that MUST be done so that ALL our children can grow up with confidence
in their abilities