Wednesday, July 11, 2018

When Privilege Fails to Bring Peace of Mind


I am healthier than I have been in years. I have a great job. I am economically secure. I have terrific friends and a loving family.
But I am deeply unsettled by the state of the country and the pain being inflicted our most vulnerable people.
I cannot be happy while others suffer, especially when that suffering is being inflicted in a cruel, vindictive manner, accompanied by a flood of racist stereotypes
I am not an island. I have Black and Latinx grandchildren. I have students whose families came to the US as undocumented immigrants . I have Black friends, colleagues and family members who have suffered grievously from racial profiling. I work closely with leaders of Bronx Muslim communities and know first hand the fear they feel in this political climate
In Donald Trump’s America, my status as a white male professional confers material benefits, but it does not bring peace of mind
I first experienced true happiness when I started using what skills I possessed to help people less fortunate than I was
I certainly cannot be happy when my prosperity comes at their expense or when I am expected to look the other way while they are being attacked

2 comments:

Sophie Grace said...

Nice Informative Post. Great work Really Appreciated. Watching amazing videos on instagram from site profile picture PLease go to

kanika said...

JOSAA 2020 Process will be conducted after the JEE Advanced Exam. Basically Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JOSAA) is Counselling Conducting Body. Through JOSAA 2020 students will take admission in IITs, NITs, IIITs and many other centrally funded technical institutes. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).