Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Message from a Badass Teacher- What We Stand For!

Monday Message from a Badass Teacher- By Sarah Lynn


Badasses: THANK YOU. I've been with you since before we broke 100 members. I'll be with you come hell or high water. Thanks for being the amp for this young teacher's voice. Thanks for brewing up storms and kicking up dust and refusing to shut the hell up. 

I've been a hell-raiser, a questioner, a Badass for as long as I can remember. I knew I wanted to be a teacher since kindergarten, when I would come home and station teach my stuffed animals everything I learned at school that day. This morning, I was thinking of the most influential teachers in my life and how they helped to make me into a BAT before there was a name for it. They all had one thing in common: they taught the entire child. So it is with Mr. S, Mrs. H, and Mrs. D in mind that I am refusing to be a part of the dismantling of the education of my students this year, next year, or any year. So here is my Monday message for corporate reformers as they start their week:

Let me educate the whole child, the whole mind, the whole body. Given the chance, a child will see connections between art and science, between a novel and a life situation, between the natural world and technology and become an independent learner, a lover of seeking and discovery. Let ME create innovative, creative, critical thinkers. Let ME foster insatiable curiosity and thirst for knowledge, answers, and improvement. Let ME do my damn job and get your corporation the hell out of my classroom. We're busy. We've got things to do. We don't have time to line your pockets. The students that are coming from my classroom will be well-informed, will know you for what you are, and what you are doing. How many students in this new generation of consumers do you think I'll reach? How many teachers like me do you think there are? How many students are they reaching? All making a new generation of educated consumers. And they will speak with their dollars. Happy Monday.

No comments: