Notorious Phd’s Quick Tips for College Teaching in the Liberal Arts.
1. Make sure that the reading materials you assign are inspiring as well as informative. Don't be afraid to include literature as well as non-fiction. Students need to use their imagination as well as intellect.
2. When you are lecturing, always stop and say. "Do you understand what i am trying to get across." "Do you have any questions." "Do you disagree with anything I am saying."
3. When possible, include music or music videos that help reinforce a point you are making. Students love this.
4. Always reserve a part of a class for student presentations or even student performances. Make sure they feel it is their class too.
5. Bring in guest speakers if they are really good. And encourage your students to have friends or family sit in. It makes them feel the course is exciting
6. Give students great freedom in producing assignments. If they want to submit a play, or a movie instead of a term paper, encourage them to do that- especially if your exams involve essay questions which allow them to show their knowledge of the material in depth.