Here are some of my favorite affordable eating spots in the Bronx. I have "field tested" all of them and can give assurance for their quality.
1. Johnson BBQ. 790 E 163rd St, Bronx, NY 10456 between Union and Tinton Avenues. Been in the same spot for over 50 years. GREAT ribs, chicken, mac and cheese, candied yams, rice and peas. Take out only- no drinks sold. Closed Monday. Say "the professor sent you" and you will get larger portions
2. Premium Sweets 2104 Starling Ave, Bronx, NY 10462 Excellent South Asian food in the Parkchester section of the Bronx, the site of the Bronx's largest Benjali community. It is actually a neighborhood where you can find a parking space
3. Pio Pio 264 Cypress Ave, Bronx, NY 10454 Great Peruvian food in a classy atmosphere is a once dangerous, now fully redeveloped section of the South Bronx. The roast chicken, seviche, plantanos, and empanadas are amazing. Also a neighborhood where parking is possible.
4. The Crab Shanty 361 City Island Ave, Bronx, NY 10464. The best lunch special on City Island. Has its own parking lot. Excellent garlic bread served with every meal. Excellent broiled fish cooked in many styles and terrific King Crab legs. Friendly atmosphere and a real Bronx crowd
5 Com Tam Ninh Kieu 2641 Jerome Ave, Bronx, NY 10468 Great Vietnamese food at affordable prices on Jerome Avenue near Kingsbridge Road. You know the food is good because most of the people eating there are either Vietnamese Bronxites or doctors from the Veterans Hospital. I love their Pho!
6. Papeye 2300 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10458. A Ghanaian Restaurant at Grand Concourse and 183rd Street with great food for those who like their eating on the spicy side. II love their goat kabobs, but everything is tasty. Just make sure you have lots of water with you if you do take out
7. 3 Way 384 E, 188th St, Bronx, NY 10458. Great Dominican food within walking distance of Fordham. My favorites are the roaster chicken with rice and beans, maduros, tostones, bacala ( codfish) pernil ( roast pork) and mafungo.
8. Venice Restaurant 772 E 149th St, Bronx, NY 10455. A South Bronx fixture for 50 years which is half the price of Arthur Avenue. Huge portions, friendly service. They do an excellent job with shrimp and calamari. And also have some great hot hero sandwiches
9. Randazzo's Seafood.2327 Arthur Ave, Bronx NY 10458 - If you love clams on the half shell, this is the place to get them. Strictly take out, but incredibly delicious!
10. Estrellita Publana III : 2328 Arthur Ave, Bronx, NY 10458. It may seem odd to recommend a Mexican restaurant in Arthur Avenue, but this place is a slam dunk. Excellent food, big portions, reasonable prices. Passed over by most of the tourists, but not by eaters in the know!
11. Bronx Beer Hall 2344 Arthur Ave, Bronx, NY 10458 in the Arthur Avenue Market. Surprising good food, as well as excellent beer because they order from the legendary Mike's Deli. An excellent place to hold a party, a seminar or a discussion group!
12..The G Bar 150th Street just West of the Grand Concourse. Live Jazz, terrific happy hour, big drinks and excellent Italian food. This is where Bronx professionals gather after work. A fun spot which also has a great Sunday Brunch
13 Liebman's Kosher Delicatessan 552 W 235th St, Bronx, NY 10463. The best old fashioned Jewish delicatessen in the Bronx. Hug stuffed sandwiches, matzo ball soup, chopped liver. i grew up on this stuff! Maybe that's why I am still teaching at age 71!